12 September 2011

Morganfields

Morganfields is a higher end restaurant with the appearance of an old basement-level coffee shop in a run-down part of town. But in KL, it is located on the 4th level of Pavilion, above the alfresco dining area. There is dining on the balcony, at the long bar, on bar stools up front, or tables in the back. No matter where you sit, though, you get some pretty good food.



I would classify the restaurant as a steak house without an emphasis on steaks...kind of like a mix between Tony Roma's and T.G.I. Friday's. There are steaks and pastas and even a few Tex-Mex dishes. We came here for a buka puasa meal as it was one of the only places with available seating at that time. After ordering (and subsequently deciding that we didn't care), we found out that was because it serves pork!



There was almost nothing for vegetarians so I had the beer-battered fish and fries. Simple and fairly plain-tasting. I've had better elsewhere, but nothing bad about this dish. The coleslaw, which I normally don't eat very much of, was quite good. I also ordered a bowl of corn chips and salsa as an appetizer since we were hungry and didn't want to wait until the main course came to eat. Unfortunately, it arrived after the mains. Other than the slow and erratic service, we couldn't really figure out why it took so long to "cook" a bowl of corn chips. We were full after finishing and, even though the desserts looked nice, couldn't put anymore food down.



Generally, the prices are a little more expensive than Tony Roma's and Friday's, but I think the food tastes better at those other places. And the service is a bit better there too. Morganfields has a nice concept, but it still needs to work out its kinks. I'd eat here again if someone specifically wanted to try it, but I'm not sure I would recommend it enthusiastically.

My rating: 3 stars








Morganfields
C4.03.00, Level 4,
Pavilion Mall
55100 Kuala Lumpur

Web site: http://www.morganfields.com/
Telephone: (+6) 03-2141 3192
Open from 10am until 12am

1 comment: