08 May 2011

Akasa Taj

The Akasa Taj is a mamak style restaurant on the corner of Jalan P. Ramlee and Jalan Perak underneath the Rohas Perkasa Building. It sits right across the street from the Milkshake Factory, Coffee Bean, and Gaucho Steakhouse.


Akasa Taj is open 24 hours a day like most mamak restaurants. But it is located in a premium-pricing region, just a short walk away from KLCC and surrounded by Jalan P. Ramlee's popular bars and several offices and serviced apartments. Because of that, it is a bit pricier than most mamak.


To its advantage, though, it is quite clean and spacious. There are ample places to sit outdoors around the fountain or inside under the modern lighting. The help-yourself mixed rice bar looked great when I was there. I was one of their first customers just before the Friday lunch rush started so everything was nicely displayed.


The usual fare was on offer, ranging from fried chicken to fish curries. I jumped all over the tempeh, potato, and ikan bilis cooked in spicy sambal. Yum. The lady fingers cooked in oyster sauce was also nice. And a side of green sambal topped it off.


The standard mamak drinks were available. I kept it simple and ordered an iced milk tea. On such a hot day, it was refreshing. But it was a bit watery. Still, it worked.


The service was a bit slow though. There weren't many people in the restaurant when I was there. But it still took a while for someone to come over and take my drink order and calculate the price for the mixed rice. But this is a popular (and busy) place. I even noticed several of the expats working in the area stopped in and got a takeaway box.


For me, the teh ais cost RM2.50 and the mixed rice (3 veggie side dishes) cost RM7.00. Overall, I'd have to say that it was a nice place with pretty good food...but higher priced compared to the same quality in other locations.


My rating: 3 stars



Akasa Taj
8 Jalan Perak
50250 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Open 24 hours a day

2 comments:

  1. mamak food...but I can recommend the vegetable dishes at the nasi campur bar. Delicious and a bit zpicy, if you're into that sort of food.

    ReplyDelete